|Mentor:||Alexander Sergeevich Rogachev|
Self-propagating high temperature synthesis of materials (SHS) is a new prospective method in the materials science. The course „SHS as a base for synthesis of inorganic materials” represents theoretical, experimental and technological knowledge on this novel process. Short retrospective of the SHS discovery and world-wide recognition is presented. Fundamental aspects of the combustion theory and experimental diagnostic techniques, thermodynamics and chemical kinetics are discussed, which allows students to understand the intrinsic mechanism of the process. The main attention in this cource is paid to the SHS in thin films, — so called reactive multilayer nanofoils. Methods of production, including magnetron layer-by-layer sputtering and mechanical high-energy treatment are discussed and compared. Unique features of the reaction in nano-foils are considered at macro-, micro- nano- and atomic scale, in relation with practical applications. Newest results of joining of the refractory and dissimilar materials, thermal-sensitive materials and components of micro-electronic devices are described.
- Scientific basics for combustion synthesis of materials (Self-propagating High temperature Synthesis — SHS). (4 h)
- General regimes of the SHS; auto-wave and volume reaction modes, limits of propagating by heat losses; combustion in thin films. (6 h)
- Thermodynamics of the SHS processes; (4 h)
- Chemical routes and classes of products. (4 h)
- Chemical kinetics of the SHS-reactions; chemical reactions in nano-layers (6 h)
- Thermal mechanism of the SHS-wave movement (elements of the combustion theory) (6 h)
- Regularities of SHS and methods of their measurement; features of the solid state combustion waves in thin films (main experimental results) (6 h)
- Formation of the microstructure and phase composition of SHS — materials: bulk samples versus multilayer reactive nanofilms. (6 h)
- Crystal structure formation during SHS: time-resolved study. (4 h)
- Application of the reactive multilayer nanofilms for joining refractory and dissimilar materials. (6 h)
- Varma A., Rogachev A.S., Mukasyan A.S., Hwang S., Combustion synthesis of advanced materials: principles and applications. in: Advances in chemical engineering (James Wei, editor-in chief), Academic Press, 1998, v.24, p.79-226.
- Рогачев А.С. Волны экзотермических реакций в многослойных нанопленках. Успехи химии, 2008, т. 77(1), с.
22-38.(есть переводная версия на английском)
- Рогачев А.С., Мукасьян А.С. Горение для синтеза материалов: введение в структурную макрокинетику (монография). Москва, Физматлит, 2012, 398 с. (перевод книги готовится в 2014 году)
- A.S.Rogachev, S.G.Vadchenko, A.S.Mukasyan Self-sustained Waves of Exothermic Dissolution in Reactive Multilayer Nano-Foils. Applied physics letters 101, 063119 (2012).