|Updated:||3 February, 2016|
Research and Efficiency Evaluation in Public Relations is an important practical course which helps students to understand the core essence of PR activity and provides knowledge of all basic sociological research and evaluation methods as well as understanding of specific PR research and assessment instruments. The course program includes practical acquaintance with contemporary media and social networks monitoring systems. All students will gain free access to demo versions of professional media and social media monitoring systems and get an opportunity to conduct their own investigation in a target field. The course program also includes observation of practical standards and principles of goal setting, project management and quality estimation applied by the biggest Russian and international companies. Moreover, students will get acquainted with methods of personal efficiency and soft skills improvement.
|Hours of lecture||Hours of discussion||Hours of independent study||Total numbers of hours|
The course will cover the following topics:
- The role of research and efficiency evaluation in PR projects (2 hours)
- structure of PR projects
- research as the first stage of PR campaign implementation
- efficiency evaluation as the final stage of PR campaign design
- Theory of sociological research (2 hours)
- general principles and statements
- sociological research program
- sociological sample
- The main methods of sociological research (3 hours)
- sociological research types and methods
- survey, interviewing, observation
- focus group, expert interview
- The main specific methods of research in public relations (3 hours)
- content analysis
- media and social network monitoring
- commercial systems of monitoring
- The role of efficiency evaluation in project management (3 hours)
- basic principles and systems of project management
- goal setting
- efficiency evaluation principles and KPI
- Efficiency evaluation in PR projects (3 hours)
- efficiency evaluation in media relations
- efficiency evaluation in advertising
- efficiency evaluation in digital communications
- Personal efficiency and soft skills development (3 hours)
- personal efficiency and teamwork
- “3+1” goal-setting system
- methods of personal motivation and soft skills development
- Colloquium (1 hour)
- Stacks, D. W. & Michaelson D. (2011). Practitioner’s Guide to Public Relations Research, Measurement, and Evaluation. Business Expert Press.
- Watson, T. (2014). Evaluating Public Relations: A Guide to Planning, Research and Measurement. 3rd edition. Kogan Page Ltd.
- Della Porta, D., Keating, M. (2012). Approaches and Methodologies in the Social Sciences: A Pluralist Perspective. Cambridge University Press.
- Hammersley, M., Campbell, J. (2012). What is Qualitative Research? London: Continuum/Bloomsbury.
- Raikhman, I. (2013). Praktika media izmereniy. Audit, otchetnost’, otsenka effectivnosti PR. Alpina Publishers (in Russian).
- Kovi, S. (2013). 7 navykov vysokoeffectivnykh liudey. Alpina Publishers (in Russian).
- Soolyatte, A. (2012). Upravlenie proektami v kompanii. Metodologiya, tekhnologii, praktika. MFPU Sinergiya (in Russian).
Homework will be assigned weekly. You will be expected to study the books from the reading list. You will receive special home tasks concerning informational research in your target field and efficiency evaluation. Moreover, there will be a special challenging practical task devoted to personal goals and their implementation.
It is a pass/fail course. To get a pass, you should complete all the assignments.