|Degree/rank:||prof., dr. sci. (phys.-math.)|
Graduated from Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology, 1981.
Major in physics and engineering.
Complex metal alloys; quasicrystals; strongly correlated electron systems, including heavy electron metals and Kondo semiconductors; spin glasses; probing elementary excitations in solids by inelastic
Training courses offered at the University
- Lectures on “Quantum physics of solids”;
- Seminars on “Electronic theory of solids”, “Theoretical mechanics and theory of elasticity”, “Statistical physics”, “Translation of scientific texts”.
More at Google Scholar but keep in mind that there might be somebody with the same name
- Krisch M., Brand R. A., Chernikov M. A., Ott H. R. Phonons in the icosahedral quasicrystal
i-AlPdMnstudied by inelastic X-rayscattering // Physical Review B — 2002 — vol. 65, no. 13 — pp. 134201/1-7.
- Chernikov M. A., Ott H. R., Bianchi A., Migliori A., Darling T. W. Elastic moduli of a single quasicrystal of decagonal Al-Ni-Co: evidence for transverse elastic isotropy // Physical Review Letters — 1998 — vol. 80, no. 2 — pp.
- Chernikov M. A., L. Degiorgi, Felder E., Paschen S., Bianchi A. D., Ott H. R., Sarrao J. L., Mandrus D., Fisk Z. Low-temperature transport, optical, magnetic and thermodynamic properties of Fe1-xCoxSi // Physical Review B — 1997 — vol. 56, no. 3 — pp.
- Edagawa K., Chernikov M. A., Bianchi A. D., Felder E., Gubler U., Ott H. R. Low-temperature thermodynamic and thermal-transport properties of decagonal Al65Cu20Co15 // Physical Review Letters — 1996 — vol. 77, no. 6 — pp.
- Chernikov M. A., Gerber C. J., Ott H. R., Gerber H.-J. Low-temperature upper limit of the photon mass: experimental null test of Ampère’s law // Physical Review Letters — 1992 — vol. 68, no. 23 — pp.
Participation in research, grants, development, etc.
- The synthesis of single-crystalline and poly-grain aluminum-based quasicrystalline alloys with decagonal and icosahedral symmetry for the study of the electronic and thermal transport and thermodynamic properties,
2009-present,RFBR, grant 09-02-00147-f;
- Anomalous physical properties of quasicrystals at high temperatures, 2008 to present, RFBR, grant 08-02-01461-f, Principal investigator;
- Experimental and theoretical studies of electronic transport (high temperature and uniaxial pressure) and magnetic properties of quasicrystals,
2006-2008,The Ministry of Education and Science, grant RNP.184.108.40.20645;
- Experimental and theoretical studies of strongly correlated electron systems, 2009 to present, The Ministry of Education and Science, grant RNP.2.1.1/1552.
Membership in the Russian and foreign academies and other public Organizations
Materials Research Society (USA)
Publications during the past several years
- M.A. Chernikov, E. I. Isaev and Yu. Kh. Vekilov, “High-temperature electronic and thermal properties of icosaherdral quasicrystals”, Phys. Lett. A 373,
- Yu.Kh. Vekilov and M. A. Chernikov, “Polygrain icosahedral Al-Pd-Re as a granular electronic conductor”, Europhys. Lett. 87, 17010 (2009).
- Yu.Kh. Vekilov and M. A. Chernikov, “Quasicrystals”, Uspekhi Fizicheskikh Nauk 180, 2010, in press.
- M.A. Chernikov, “Elastic properties of icosahedral and decagonal quasicrystals”, Uspekhi Fizicheskikh Nauk, 175,
- M.A. Chernikov, “On the low-temperature specific heat and thermal conductivity of icosahedral and decagonal quasicrystals”, Poverkhnost’. Rentgenovskie, sinkhrotronnye i neytronnye issledovaniya, № 4,
Supervised research work for graduate qualification of bachelors and Masters in the last several years
- Magister dissertation “The study of the specific heat of quasicrystalline phases Al-Ni-Co and Al-Cu-Fe at high temperatures”, Gasparyan T. A., National Research Nuclear University “MEPhI”, 2008.
- Rozhnikov K. Yu., Gasparyan T. A., (National Research Nuclear University “MEPhI”), “The growth of single crystals of quasicrystalline phases with icosahedral and decagonal structures”;
- Rozhnikov K. Yu., Gasparyan T. A., (National Research Nuclear University “MEPhI”), “The synthesis of quasicrystals and the study of their the specific heat at high temperatures”.