How to select an academic advisor
Step 1. Select the topic of your future research work.
The topic may be changed during the work for the dissertation. Initially, the topic may be worded subject to those materials that you already have in the form of your graduation paper, publications, etc.
NUST MISiS graduates planning to continue collaborating with their previous academic advisors (after obtaining the master’s or specialist’s degree) are recommended to select scientific issues dealt with by the department (institute, laboratory, etc.), by which their academic advisors are employed.
If you are not a NUST MISiS graduate, you may select a topic of research based on your previous education and theme of your future dissertation. Examine the specialty passport and program of entrance exams (a separate program for each specialty/major). The directorates of institutes and the Center of Excellence will assist you in specifying the scope of your academic interest, inspecting your entrant’s portfolio and in selecting the most appropriate academic advisor.
Step 2. Select your academic advisor, educational or research unit involved in academic and scientific activities related to your topic of choice.
Navigate webpages of institutes to find information about their fields of study and majors for postgraduate students, as well as about the recommended academic advisors.
Visit websites of educational or academic units of NUST MISiS dealing with teaching and/or academic activities in your field of study.
While navigating through webpages of such units, you will find information about their employees and their publications, research projects and training courses. It will enable you to identify the persons doing researches in the area that you intend to select for your PhD dissertation.
You may also find the most appropriate academic advisor, if you examine the section devoted to defended dissertations and the relevant academic advisors.
Step 3. Contact your potential academic advisor or head of the educational or research unit (using the list above).
IT IS IMPERATIVE that you contact your potential academic advisor / head or deputy head of the educational or research unit by email/phone. Describe your research interest. Not all NUST MISiS employees are available from July to late August due to vacations.
For more comments and explanations, contact the directorates of institutes that you intend to enter or the Center of Excellence.
How to assign an academic advisor for a postgraduate student
An academic or research advisor is appointed by an order of the pro-rector for science and innovations of the University from among full-time or part-time employees no later than three months of enrolling the relevant postgraduate student.
The following documents shall be in place for issuing the above order:
- extract from the minutes of the meeting of the Academic Board of the institute along with an application of appointing the relevant academic or research advisor and of admitting the same to academic advising (if advises for the first time);
- application containing the consent of such academic or research advisor to render academic advisory or research services to any given postgraduate student, and
- details of such academic advisor’s scientific efforts for the most recent three years.
- to assist the postgraduate student in selecting the theme for his/her dissertation and in preparing its rationale and plan;
- to compile and coordinate the schedule of intramural consultations with the postgraduate student and head of department (once per semester);
- to agree upon the individual plan of performing the PhD research with the postgraduate student, exercise control over the progress and make arrangements for the postgraduate’s research studies;
- to notify the head of department of losing contact with the postgraduate student;
- to exercise control over the postgraduate’s compliance with his/her individual curriculum and to notify the head of department of non-compliance;
- to approve the postgraduate’s report examined at the meetings of the department (at least twice a year during the attestation in adopting the decision on progression), and
- to coordinate the postgraduate’s work in line with the selected topic of his/her dissertation by rendering methodological and other necessary aid.