|Instructor:||Assoc. Prof. Ilya Bardin|
The course “Corrosion and protection of metals” has applied orientation. This discipline contains fundamentals of gaseous and aqueous corrosion. The course discusses the following main areas of corrosion science:
- Gaseous corrosion: thermodynamics and kinetics of high-temperature corrosion in gases, mass transfer in the continuous oxide films, classification of oxide films, oxidation of alloys, theories of heat resisting alloying.
- Aqueous corrosion: double electric layer and electrode potentials, mechanism of electrochemical corrosion of metals, polarization of electrode processes, aqueous corrosion reaction mechanisms, calculation of electrochemical corrosion processes, multielectrode systems, passivity. Forms of aqueous corrosion: uniform corrosion: aqueous corrosion, atmospheric corrosion, subterranean corrosion, marine corrosion, galvanic corrosion, stray-current corrosion, molten salt corrosion; localized corrosion: pitting corrosion, crevice corrosion, filiform corrosion, intergranular corrosion, knife-line attack, stress-corrosion cracking. Methods of protection against aqueous corrosion.
- Methods of corrosion research: methods for measuring gaseous and aqueous corrosion rates. Corrosion tasting and evaluation.
Laboratory practicum involves nine laboratory works according with course of lectures using modern laboratory equipment.
|Hours of lecture||Hours of discussion||Hours in laboratory||Hours of independent study||Total numbers of hours|
By the completion of this course, students will be expected to
- To use mathematic and physicochemical methods to calculate thermodynamic possibility of corrosion processes and the rates of corrosion in gases and aqueous environments;
- To describe anodic and cathodic processes on the surface of different constituents of alloys and choose the optimal method of production and heat treatment of this alloys;
- To use factors of uniform and localized corrosion resistance to make long-range forecast of trouble-free operation of equipment;
- To choose the standards for corrosion testing (Russian and international standards);
- To use the most effective and economical methods of corrosion protection of equipment in different conditions;
- To do research of mechanisms of corrosion processes, diagnostics and expert examination of corrosion damage;
- Fundamentals of gaseous corrosion;
- Methods of protection against gaseous corrosion;
- Fundamentals of aqueous corrosion;
- Uniform aqueous corrosion;
- Localized aqueous corrosion;
- Methods of protection against aqueous corrosion
- Methods of corrosion research.
- ASM Handbook Corrosion: Fundamentals, Testing, and Protection. Volume 13A, ASM International, 2003.
- G.Y. Lai. High-temperature corrosion and materials applications / ASM International, 2008.
- E.E. Stansbury, R.A. Buchanan. Fundamentals of electrochemical corrosion / ASM International, 2004.