|Updated:||2 February, 2016|
In the Corporate Culture course the focus is on the blend of values, beliefs, taboos, symbols, rituals and myths which organizations develop over time. Students will learn the communication techniques that the in-house public relations manager must practice. An emphasis is put on both the “macro” and “micro” tasks of the internal PR manager. “Macro” tasks refer to strategic planning of internal communication. “Micro” tasks include the evaluation of employee communication problems within organizations and the design of communication programs to handle them.
|Hours of lecture||Hours of discussion||Hours of independent study||Total numbers of hours|
Please note that the time spent on independent study exceeds hours of lecture and discussion.
The course will cover the following topics:
- Corporate culture and corporate image (4 hours)
- definition of corporate culture, typology of corporate culture
- influence of corporate culture on business
- Symbolic components of corporate culture (6 hours)
- corporate culture as an integrator
- naming and slogans
- house style and its components
- Verbal components of corporate culture (10 hours)
- mission and vision
- corporate philosophy and corporate code
- corporate history and legends
- corporate rituals
- ways of corporate culture promotion
- Paul A.Argenti (2013). Corporate Communication. 6th ed. McGraw Hill
- Lionel Wee (2015). The Language of Organizational Styling. Cambridge University Press.
- Invernizzi Emanuele, Falconi Toni Muzi, Romenti Stefania (eds.) (2009). Institutionalosing PR and Corporate Communication. Proceedings of the Euprera 2008 Milan Congress. Milan.
- Minaeva L.V. (2010) Vnutrikorporativnyje svyazi s obshchestvennost’u. Moscow: Aspect Press (in Russian).
- Smith Lyn, Mounter Pamela (2008) Effective Internal Communication. Kogan Page, London.
- Aronson Merry, Spetner Don, Ames Carol (2007) The Public Relations Writer’s Handbook. The Digital Age. Jossey-Bass.
- Persikova T.N. (2011) Mezhkulturnaja kommunikathija i korporativenaja kultura. Moscow: Logos (in Russian).
- Chumikov A.N. (2012) Reklama i svyazi s obshchestvennost’u. Imidzh, reputatsija, brend. Moscow: Aspect Press (in Russian).
- Public Relations Review. Elsevier. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/journal/03638111
- Research in Organizational Behavior. Elsevier. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/journal/01913085
- Sites of commercial organizations, government agencies and nonprofit organizations.
Homework will be assigned weekly. You will be expected to study the books from the reading list and to analyze various cases. You will also have to write two tests and prepare a corporate portfolio.
It is a pass/fail course. To get a pass, you should complete all the assignments.