Semiconductor microelectronics and optoelectronics, investigation of the electronic and optical properties of nanostructured devices based on halide perovskites, organic semiconductors, hybrid dyes and gallium nitride.
Field of knowledge according to OECD
Applied physics, interdisciplinary physics, physical chemistry, electrical engineering and electronics.
2018 — present: Head of the NUST MISIS Advanced Solar Energy Laboratory.
2012 — present: professor, head of the Department of Engineering in Electronics, Tor Vergata University of Rome.
2001 — 2012: associate professor at the Department of Engineering in Electronics, Tor Vergata University of Rome.
1996 — 2001: assistant at the Department of Engineering in Electronics, Tor Vergata University of Rome.
1995: PhD, Technical University of Munich.
1991: MSc, La Sapienza University of Rome.Head of the NUST MISIS Advanced Solar Energy Laboratory.
Aldo Di Carlo graduated (cum laude) from the La Sapienza University of Rome in 1991 and received his PhD in physics and mathematics (PhD) from the Technical University of Munich (Germany) in 1995.
In 1996, he became a research assistant at the Department of Electronic Engineering of the Tor Vergata University of Rome, and in 2001 he became an associate professor of the said department. Since December 2012, he has been a professor at the same university.
Professor Di Carlo is the author and co-author of more than 400 scientific publications in international journals (h-factor > 54), more than 20 patents, several reviews on the description of nanostructures (in the Semiconductor Science and Technology and on Report Progress in Physics journals), several book chapters and co-author of two books (in Italian) on semiconductor materials in electronic engineering and optoelectronics: “Appunti di Optoelettronica: I materiali semiconduttori” and “Appunti di Optoelettronica: fiber ottiche e componenti a semiconduttore”.
He attended more than 40 international conferences as a speaker. The results of his research were used by 5 spin-off / start-up energy technology companies, which fostered private-public partnerships.
Aldo Di Carlo’s research activities cover a wide area of semiconductor microelectronics, which includes the study of electronic and optical properties of nanostructured devices, their analysis and optimization, and the manufacture of organic and perovskite photoconverters. In recent years, Aldo Di Carlo’s scientific activity has been focused on fundamental studies of the effects of charge transfer in semiconductor devices, HEMT transistors, as well as on large-scale studies of solar cells and third-generation modules (3G-PV), including devices based on a dye sensitizer, polymer semiconductors and perovskite organometallic compounds.
Under his guidance, the work of scaling the printing of thin-film photovoltaic devices to create real prototypes of solar cells for terrestrial use is underway. Applied and technological tasks in scientific groups led by professor Di Carlo are inextricably linked with theoretical research and the construction of various models.
In particular, one of the most outstanding studies recognized by the international scientific community is the development of the “Theory of the nonequilibrium charge transfer process in nanostructured devices”, which has been the subject of many invited talks at international conferences and university seminars.
Recently, Aldo Di Carlo has been one of the key participants in the implementation of the “Polo Solare Organico della Regione Lazio” CHOSE (Center for Hybrid and Ecological Solar Energy — CHOSE (Italy)) project, where he is the co-director of the center, as well as of the NUST MISIS Advanced Solar Energy Laboratory (Russia) opened in 2018 as part of the Russian Megagrant project.
As part of various scientific projects, research teams led by Aldo Di Carlo are developing a technology for printing solar modules based on perovskite with a record efficiency for large-area devices of more than 17%. In addition, professor Di Carlo is the coordinator of the Nano- and Optoelectronics Research Group at the Department of Electrical Engineering and a member of the IEEE Electron Devices community.
Aldo Di Carlo develops multiscale simulation software for electronic and optoelectronic devices called TiberCAD, which is a leading tool for the design of advanced devices.
Scopus Hirsch Index — 60.
Number of articles on Scopus — 659.
ORCID: 0000-0001-6828 −2380.
Scopus AuthorID: 35228968500.
Russian Science Foundation “Development of a new generation of elementary particle detectors based on halide perovskite semiconductors”,
Megagrant of the Government of the Russian Federation “Large-format semitransparentt solar panels with stable perovskite architectures”,
H2020 CHEOPS European Union,
FP7 EU CHEETAH European Union,
- Graphene Interface Engineering for Perovskite Solar Modules: 12.6% Power Conversion Efficiency over 50 cm(2) Active Area. Автор::Agresti, A (Agresti, Antonio)[ 1 ] ; Pescetelli, S (Pescetelli, Sara)[ 1 ] ; Palma, AL (Palma, Alessandro L.)[ 1 ] ; Castillo, AED (Castillo, Antonio E. Del Rio)[ 2 ] ; Konios, D (Konios, Dimitrios)[ 3,4 ] ; Kakavelakis, G (Kakavelakis, Geore)[ 3,4 ] ; Razza, S (Razza, Stefano)[ 1 ] ; Cina, L (Cina, Lucio)[ 1 ] ; Kymakis, E (Kymakis, Emmanuel)[ 3,4 ] ; Bonaccorso, F (Bonaccorso, Francesco)[ 2 ] ; Di Carlo, A (Di Carlo, Aldo)[ 1 ]. ACS ENERGY LETTERS. Том: 2 Выпуск: 1 Стр.:
279-287.DOI: 10.1021/acsenergylett.6b00672. Опубликовано: JAN 2017. Тип документа: Article
- Encapsulation for long-term stability enhancement of perovskite solar cells. Автор::Matteocci, F (Matteocci, Fabio)[ 1 ] ; Cina, L (Cina, Lucio)[ 1 ] ; Lamanna, E (Lamanna, Enrico)[ 1 ] ; Cacovich, S (Cacovich, Stefania)[ 2 ] ; Divitini, G (Divitini, Giorgio)[ 2 ] ; Midgley, PA (Midgley, Paul A.)[ 2 ] ; Ducati, C (Ducati, Caterina)[ 2 ] ; Di Carlo, A (Di Carlo, Aldo)[ 1 ]. NANO ENERGY. Том: 30 Стр.:
162-172.DOI: 10.1016/j.nanoen.2016.09.041. Опубликовано: DEC 2016. Тип документа: Article
- MoS2 Quantum Dot/Graphene Hybrids for Advanced Interface Engineering of a CH3NH3PbI3 Perovskite Solar Cell with an Efficiency of over 20%. Najafi, L (Najafi, Leyla)[ 1 ] ; Taheri, B (Taheri, Babak)[ 2 ] ; Martin-Garcia, B (Martin-Garcia, Beatriz)[ 1 ] ; Bellani, S (Bellani, Sebastiano)[ 1 ] ; Di Girolamo, D (Di Girolamo, Diego)[ 2 ] ; Agresti, A (Agresti, Antonio)[ 2 ] ; Oropesa-Nunez, R (Oropesa-Nunez, Reinier)[ 1,3 ] ; Pescetelli, S (Pescetelli, Sara)[ 2 ] ; Vesce, L (Vesce, Luigi)[ 2 ] ; Calabro, E (Calabro, Emanuele)[ 2 ] ; Prato, M (Prato, Mirko)[ 4 ] ; Castillo, AED (Castillo, Antonio E. Del Rio)[ 1 ] ; Di Carlo, A (Di Carlo, Aldo)[ 2,5 ]. ACS NANO. Том: 12 Выпуск: 11 Стр.:
10736-10754.DOI: 10.1021/acsnano.8b05514. Опубликовано: NOV 2018. Тип документа: Article.
- Titanium-carbide MXenes for work function and interface engineering in perovskite solar cells. Автор::Agresti, A (Agresti, A.)[ 1,2 ] ; Pazniak, A (Pazniak, A.)[ 3 ] ; Pescetelli, S (Pescetelli, S.)[ 1 ] ; Di Vito, A (Di Vito, A.)[ 1 ] ; Rossi, D (Rossi, D.)[ 1 ] ; Pecchia, A (Pecchia, A.)[ 4 ] ; Maur, MAD (Maur, M. Auf Der)[ 1 ] ; Liedl, A (Liedl, A.)[ 5 ] ; Larciprete, R (Larciprete, R.)[ 5,6 ] ; Kuznetsov, DV (Kuznetsov, Denis V.)[ 3 ] ; Saranin, D (Saranin, D.)[ 2 ] ; Di Carlo, A (Di Carlo, A.)[ 1,2 ]. NATURE MATERIALS. Том: 18 Выпуск: 11 Стр.: 1228-+. DOI: 10.1038/s41563-019-0478-1. Опубликовано: NOV 2019. Тип документа: Article.
- New Fullerene Derivative as an n-Type Material for Highly Efficient, Flexible Perovskite Solar Cells of a p-i-n Configuration. Автор::Ahmad, T (Ahmad, Taimoor)[ 1,2 ] ; Wilk, B (Wilk, Barbara)[ 3 ] ; Radicchi, E (Radicchi, Eros)[ 4,5 ] ; Pineda, RF (Fuentes Pineda, Rosinda)[ 1 ] ; Spinelli, P (Spinelli, Pierpaolo)[ 1 ] ; Herterich, J (Herterich, Jan)[ 6 ] ; Castriotta, LA (Castriotta, Luigi Angelo)[ 2 ] ; Dasgupta, S (Dasgupta, Shyantan)[ 3 ] ; Mosconi, E (Mosconi, Edoardo)[ 5 ] ; De Angelis, F (De Angelis, Filippo)[ 4,5 ] ; Kohlstadt, M (Kohlstaedt, Markus)[ 6 ] ; Wurfel, U (Wuerfel, Uli)[ 6 ] ; Di Carlo, A (Di Carlo, Aldo)[ 2 ] ; Wojciechowski, K (Wojciechowski, Konrad)[ 1,3 ]. ADVANCED FUNCTIONAL MATERIALS. Номер статьи: 2004357. DOI: 10.1002/adfm.202004357. Early access i. Тип документа: Article.
- Light-induced improvement of dopant-free PTAA on performance of inverted perovskite solar cells. Автор::Bagheri, Z (Bagheri, Zahra)[ 1 ] ; Matteocci, F (Matteocci, Fabio)[ 2 ] ; Lamanna, E (Lamanna, Enrico)[ 2 ] ; Di Girolamo, D (Di Girolamo, Diego)[ 3 ] ; Marrani, AG (Marrani, Andrea Giacomo)[ 3 ] ; Zanoni, R (Zanoni, Robertino)[ 3 ] ; Di Carlo, A (Di Carlo, Aldo)[ 2,4 ] ; Moshaii, A (Moshaii, Ahmad)[ 1 ]. SOLAR ENERGY MATERIALS AND SOLAR CELLS. Том: 215. Номер статьи: 110606. DOI: 10.1016/j.solmat.2020.110606. Опубликовано: SEP 15 2020. Тип документа: Article.
- Easy Strategy to Enhance Thermal Stability of Planar PSCs by Perovskite Defect Passivation and Low-Temperature Carbon-Based Electrode. Автор::Calabro, E (Calabro, Emanuele)[ 1 ] ; Matteocci, F (Matteocci, Fabio)[ 1 ] ; Paci, B (Paci, Barbara)[ 2 ] ; Cina, L (Cina, Lucio)[ 4 ] ; Vesce, L (Vesce, Luigi)[ 1 ] ; Barichello, J (Barichello, Jessica)[ 1 ] ; Generosi, A (Generosi, Amanda)[ 2 ] ; Reale, A (Reale, Andrea)[ 1 ] ; Di Carlo, A (Di Carlo, Aldo). ACS APPLIED MATERIALS & INTERFACES. Том: 12 Выпуск: 29 Стр.:
32536-32547.DOI: 10.1021/acsami.0c05878. Опубликовано: JUL 22 2020. Тип документа: Article.
- Drift-Diffusion Study of the IQE Roll-Off in Blue Thermally Activated Delayed Fluorescence OLEDs. Автор::Rossi, D (Rossi, Daniele)[ 1 ] ; Palazzo, D (Palazzo, Daniele)[ 1 ] ; Di Carlo, A (Di Carlo, Aldo)[ 1,2 ] ; der Maur, MA (der Maur, Matthias Auf)[ 1 ]. ADVANCED ELECTRONIC MATERIALS. Том: 6 Выпуск: 8. Номер статьи: 2000245. DOI: 10.1002/aelm.202000245. Опубликовано: AUG 2020. Тип документа: Article.
Maxene-modified hybrid photoconverter. WO2020139131A1 WIPO (PCT). 12/25/2018. Priority to RU2018146146A. Anna Ivanovna Pazniak, Danila Sergeevich Saranin, Dmitry Sergeevich Muratov, Pavel Andreevich Gostischev, Sergei Ivanovich Didenko, Denis Valerievich Kuznetsov, Aldo Di Carlo.
- Postgraduate student P.A. Gostisch, 3rd year. “Multi-cationic perovskite absorbing layers in inverted solar cells”.
- Postgraduate student I.O. Yermanova, 3rd year. “Passivation of the heterojunctions of perovskite solar cells”.
- Postgraduate student N. Talbanova, 1st year. “Planar perovskite photodiodes for visible light spectrum”.
Member of the organizing committee of the GHAPHENE 2019 conference, Rome, June
Co-chairman of the HOPV-2019 conference, Rome, May
General chairman of the 15th International Conference on Nanotechnology (IEEE NANO2015), Rome, July
ST microelectronic award: GE Meeting Giardini di Naxos (ME), Italy, June 2, 2005.
2007 nanophotonics engineering award: PLMCN 7, April
Macro Polo Award of the Italian Science, Kyoto (Japan), November 22, 2011.
MEGAGRANT of the Russian Federation, January 1, 2018.
SETTE Green Awards, Corriere della Sera, December 2, 2015.
Member of the IEEE Electronic Device Society.
Member of the Italian Association for Electronics (SIE).
Advisory committee member of the International Workshop on Computational Electronics (2000).
Member of the steering committee of the Numerical Simulation of Optoelectronic Devices Conference, NUSOD (2011).
Member of the program committee member of the Physics of Light-Mater coupling in Nanostructures (2001).
General chairman of the 15th IEEE International Conference on Nanoelectronics (IEEE NANO 2015) July
Associate editor of the Journal of Computational Electronics (2007).
Associate editor of the Journal of Nanophotonics
Member of the editorial board of the Semiconductor Science and Technology journal