Technical University of Munich, nuclear physics — 1995
Field of Study
11.06.01 Electronic Engineering, Radioengineering and Communications
Physicotechnological basics of generating materials and elements of macro-, micro- and nanoelectronics
Areas of Expertise (Science Topics)
Perovskite solar elements, devices based on sensibilizator colorants, printed electronics, sD materials for microelectronics, stabilization of organic-based devices.
Aldo Di Carlo is a practicing scientist and businessman having the experience of monetizing academic ideas and translating technology into finished products. He implements the project of creating and manufacturing modules of innovative perovskite photo elements on an industrial scale in Italy.
Primary Research Projects
Aldo Di Carlo is the primary researcher of the University of Rome Tor Vergata for the following projects: H2020 CHEOPS (manufacturing perovskite solar batteries), H2020 GRAPHENE FLAGSHIP (prototyping graphene perovskite solar elements), FP7 IP NEWLED (development of GaN light emitting diodes), etc.
He is the key coordinator of European projects: OPTHER (THz technologies) and ULTRADSSC (technologies of solar batteries based on the sensibilizator colorant).
- 15 registered patents and know-hows for the last 5 years: photovoltaic systems and spray coating processes for reducing photovoltaic systems; Electron-Emitting Cold Cathode;
- over 350 publications of first-quartile journals: NATURE ENERGY In situ observation of heat-induced degradation of perovskite solar cells (2016); ENERGY & ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCE Introducing structural colour in DSCs by using photonic crystals: interplay between conversion efficiency and optical properties (2012); ACS NANO Vertical TiO2 Nanorods as a Medium for Stable and High-Efficiency Perovskite Solar Modules (2015), etc.;
- over 40 invitations to speak at international conferences, and
- Hirsch index of over 53 and more than 7,490 citations.
- The findings of his research were used to implement 5 spin-offs / start-ups of companied involved in information and power technologies.
Academic Advising to Postgraduate Students
He has released over 30 postgraduate students (multi-scale modelling of nanostructures of InGaN/GaN diodes with parallel approximation; tandem Graetzel cells; research of stability and degradation of hybrid and organic solar elements; modelling organic solar cells, etc.).