Course Description: Participants will develop reading, writing, and speaking skills needed to be successful in an academic and professional environment. A variety of materials will give the students the opportunity to analyze and comment on written examples, generate their own exercises, improve their own original work, and prepare academic presentations. The class is designed to meet the needs and demands placed on scholars and faculty to read, write, and present formal, academic material.
Students who wish to enroll in this intensive,
- ability to write a research paper in their field of study
- high level critical thinking skills to comprehend, analyze, evaluate, and respond to complex texts
- vocabulary knowledge and ability to pick up context clues to make inferences
- understand the main ideas and details of complex academic listening sources
- take organized notes on academic lectures
- communicate accurately and fluently using effective presentation skills on academic topics and participate in active discussions
Objectives: Participants will be able to:
- Expand academic vocabulary to increase class participation and comprehension of academic texts at the graduate level.
- Employ various reading and writing strategies to improve comprehension and expression for academic purposes at the graduate and post-graduate level.
- Evaluate and produce clear, well-structured and complex academic texts individually and through collaboration with classmates.
- Create and deliver presentations of academic material.