Doctor of chemistry, professor, head of the NUST MISIS Nanochemistry and Ecology Laboratory, chief researcher at the Institute of Organic Chemistry of the Russian Academy of Sciences
- Ленинский проспект, д.6, стр. 10, Т-124, Т-117, Т-117а
Catalysis, nanomaterials, hybrid nanomaterials, adsorbents, “green” chemistry, spectroscopy of nanomaterials, complex processing of natural, associated petroleum gases and biogas, catalytic synthesis of organic compounds.
Field of knowledge according to the OECD classifier
01.04. EI Chemistry, Physical, 01.04.DY Chemistry, Multidisciplinary, 02.05.Pm Materials Science, Multidisciplinary, 02.07.ID Energy & Fuels.
Professor, doctor of chemistry
1991: doctor of chemistry, Institute of Organic Chemistry of the Russian Academy of Sciences.
1982: PhD in chemistry, Institute of Organic Chemistry of the Russian Academy of Sciences.
1978: Faculty of Chemistry, Lomonosov Moscow State University. Higher education
Head of the Nanochemistry and Ecology Laboratory.
2015 — present: head of the Nanochemistry and Ecology Laboratory, NUST MISIS.
1999 — present: Faculty of Chemistry, Lomonosov Moscow State University, laboratory head, professor.
1978 — present: Institute of Organic Chemistry of the Russian Academy of Sciences, chief researcher.
Main results of scientific work
The main area of L.M. Kustov’s scientific activity is the development of catalytic processes and new materials, including hybrid ones, based on the principles of “green” chemistry. The use of non-traditional methods of activation of catalysts (microwave, electron beams, plasma) made it possible to increase their activity in hydrogenation, dehydrogenation and oxidation of various substrates by
New effective catalysts for the hydrogenation of various substrates based on the “giant” hydrogen spillover principle, the opening of naphthene cycles, metathesis, isomerization, nitration, oxidation of aromatic compounds and paraffins, and the conversion of glycerol to diols and lactic acid were developed. These catalysts successfully passed pilot tests in Russia and abroad.
New systems for hydrogen storage based on the processes of hydrogenation-dehydrogenation of aromatic substrates and significantly exceeding the capacity (8% H2) of the known systems
Scopus Hirsch Index — 42.
Number of articles on Scopus — 495.
Significant research projects, grants
- RFBR grant MK 18-29- 24182, “New approaches to the conversion of lignocellulose and carbon-containing waste into valuable products”,
- RFBR grant 19-03- 00808, “New approaches to the creation of high-performance catalysts for the opening of polycyclic carbon cycles”,
- MISIS grant K1-2015-045, supervisor.
- RSF grant 20-63- 46013, supervisor.
- MISIS grant К2-2017-011, supervisor.
- MISIS grant К2-2019-005, supervisor.
- Natalia Abramenko, Leonid Kustov, Larysa Metelytsia, Vasyl Kovalishyn, Igor Tetko, Willie Peijnenburg, A review: Recent advances towards the design of QSAR models for ionic liquids. Hazard Assessment of Ionic Liquids: Modeling Toolbox, Journal of Hazardous Materials 384 (2020) 121429. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2019.121429
New approaches to study toxicity of ionic liquids are reviewed.
- V. I. Isaeva, M. I. Barkova, L. M. Kustov, D. A. Syrtsova, E. A. Efimova, and V. V. Teplyakov, In situ Synthesis of Novel ZIF-8 Membranes on Polymeric and Inorganic Supports, J. Mater. Chem. A, 2015, v. 3, p.
7469–7476.IF=10.733, Q1. Doi: 10.1039/C5TA01178G
Novel methods of synthesis of MOF-based membranes has been elaborated.
- V. I. Isaeva, M. N. Timofeeva, V. N. Panchenko, I. A. Lukoyanov, V. V. Chernyshev, G. I. Kapustin, N. A. Davshan, L. M. Kustov, Design of novel catalysts for synthesis of
1,5-benzodiazepinesfrom 1,2-phenylenediamineand ketones: NH2-MIL-101(Al) as integrated structural scaffold for catalytic materials based on calix, Journal of Catalysis. 2019. Vol. 369. P. 60-71.IF = 6.759, Q1, DOI: 10.1016/j.cat.2018.10.035.
Novel catalysts have been designed for synthesis of
- E.M. Kostyukhin, A.L. Kustov, L.M. Kustov, One-step hydrothermal microwave-assisted synthesis of LaFeO3 nanoparticles, Ceramics International. 2019. Vol. 45. Issue 11. p.
14384–14388.IF = 3.45, Q1, DOI: 10.1016/j.ceramint.2019.04.155
One-step method of hydrothermal microwave-assisted synthesis of uniform LaFeO3 nanoparticles has been developed.
- L.M. Kustov A.L. Tarasov, O.A. Kirichenko, Microwave-Activated Dehydrogenation of Perhydro-N-ethylcarbazol over Bimetallic Pd-M/TiO2 Catalysts as the Second Stage of Hydrogen Storage in Liquid Substrates. Int. J. Hydr. Energy, 2017, Volume 42, Issue 43, Pages
26723-26729,IF=4.084, Q1, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhydene.2017.09.009
Microwave-activated dehydrogenation of perhydro-N-ethylcarbazol over bimetallic Pd-M/TiO2 catalysts was used as the second stage of hydrogen storage in liquid substrates.
- Leonid M. Kustov, Elena D. Finashina, Vladimir I. Avaev, Boris G. Ershov, Decalin ring opening on Pt-Ru catalysts, Fuel Proc. Technol. 2018, 173, p.
270-275,IF=4.507, Q1, DOI: 10.1016/j.fuproc.2018.02.007
Decalin ring opening has been studied for the first time on Pt-Ru catalysts.
- A.L. Tarasov, V.I. Isaeva, O.P. Tkachenko, V.V. Chernyshev, L.M. Kustov. Conversion of CO2 into liquid hydrocarbons in the presence of a Co-containing catalyst based on the microporous metal-organic framework MIL-53(Al). Fuel Proc. Technol. 2018, 176, p.
101-106.IF=4.507, Q1, DOI: 10.1016/j.fuproc.2018.03.016
Conversion of CO2 into liquid hydrocarbons in the presence of a Co-containing catalyst based on the microporous metal-organic framework MIL-53(Al) was shown to provide advantages over the state of the art Co/SiO2 and Co/Al2O3 catalysts.
- Olga A. Kirichenko, Nikolay A. Davshan, Elena A. Redina, Gennady I. Kapustin, Igor V. Mishin, Olga P. Tkachenko, Aleksey V. Kucherov, Leonid M. Kustov, Gold nanoparticles in environmental catalysis: Influence of the Fe-modified alumina supports on the catalytic behavior of supported gold nanoparticles in CO oxidation in the presence of ammonia, Chemical Engineering Journal 292 (2016)
62–71.IF=8.355. Q1. DOI: 10.1016/j.cej.2016.01.101
Gold nanoparticles were studied in a number of environmental catalysis processes. The influence of the Fe-modified alumina supports on the catalytic behavior of supported gold nanoparticles in CO oxidation in the presence of ammonia was revealed.
- Maxim Zabilskiy, Petar Djinović, Elena Tchernychova, Olga P. Tkachenko, Leonid M. Kustov and Albin Pintar, Nanoshaped CuO/CeO2 materials: Effect of the exposed surfaces on catalytic activity in N2O decomposition reaction. ACS Catal., IF=12.221, Q1. DOI: 10.1021/acscatal.5b01044.
Nanoshaped CuO/CeO2 materials have been developed and the effect of the exposed surfaces on the catalytic activity in N2O decomposition reaction has been demonstrated.
- O. P. Tkachenko, A. A. Greish, A. V. Kucherov, K.C., Weston, A. M. Tsybulevski, L. M. Kustov, Low-temperature CO oxidation by transition metal polycation exchanged low-silica faujasites, Appl. Catal. B Environmental, 2015, vol. 179(4), p.
521-529;IF= 14.229, Q1, DOI:10.1016/j.apcatb.2015.04.029.
Low-temperature CO oxidation on transition metal polycation exchanged low-silica faujasites was shown to manifest certain advantages over noble metal catalysts.
- 2021 Method of producing carbon monoxide from lignin hydrolyzed under the action of CO2. Authors: A.A. Medvedev, A.L. Kustov, D.A. Bel’dova, P.V. Pribytkov, E.M. Kostyukhin, L.M. Kustov, #RU 2 741 006 C1, January 22, 2021.
- Method of producing synthesis gas from CO2. Authors: N.D. Evdokimenko, A.L. Kustov, K.O. Kim, T.R. Aimaletdinov, L.M. Kustov, #2668863, October 3, 2018.
- Method of preparing a catalyst for producing synthesis gas from methane, a catalyst prepared by this method, and a method of producing synthesis gas from methane using it. Authors: Andrey Leonidovich Tarasov, Leonid Modestovich Kustov, Dmitry Yuryevich Kultin, Olga Konstantinovna Lebedeva, Natalia Viktorovna Root, #RU 2638831 C1, December 18, 2017.
- Method of producing MOF-177 porous coordination polymer. Authors: Vera Ilyinichna Isayeva, Pyotr Vadimovich Pribytkov, Leonid Modestovich Kustov, #RU 2629361, August 29, 2017.
- Adsorbent for sulfur dioxide gas. Authors: Leonid Modestovich Kustov, Pyotr Vadimovich Pribytkov, Firudin Ilyasovich Huseynov, #RU 2620793 C1, May 29, 2017.
- Adsorbent for hydrogen sulfide. Authors: Leonid Modestovich Kustov, Pyotr Vadimovich Pribytkov, Firudin Ilyasovich Huseynov, #RU 2620116 C1, May 23, 2017.
- Electrochemical method of obtaining nanoscale structures of titanium (IV) oxide. Authors: Olga Konstantinovna Lebedeva, Dmitry Yuryevich Kultin, Natalia Viktorovna Root, Leonid Modestovich Kustov, Gilyana Evgenyevna Dzungurova, Konstantin Borisovich Kalmykov, Sergey Fedorovich Dunaev, #RU 2602126 C2, November 10, 2016.
- Method of preparing a catalyst for producing synthesis gas from methane, a catalyst prepared by this method, and a method of producing synthesis gas from methane using it. Authors: Andrey Leonidovich Tarasov, Leonid Modestovich Kustov, Dmitry Yuryevich Kultin, Olga Konstantinovna Lebedeva, Natalia Viktorovna Root, #RU 2016138729, December 30, 2016.
Scientific supervision and teaching
Under the leadership of professor Kustov, 30 PhD theses were defended.
Over the lasy 5 years:
- V.I. Isaeva “Hybrid materials based on metal-organic frameworks (MOF) and examination of their catalytical and physico-chemical properties”, doctor of chemistry, 2016.
- N.B. Abramenko “Research and modeling of the toxic effect of silver nanoparticles on hydrobionts”, PhD in chemistry, 2017.
- N.V. Root “Obtaining surface nanostructures on metals in the conditions of electrochemical processing in ionic liquids and their catalytic properties in partial oxidation reactions”, PhD in chemistry, 2017.
- E.M. Kostyukhin “Microwave synthesis of nano-sized particles of ferriferous oxides and their physico-chemical and catalytic properties”, PhD in chemistry, 2020.
- E.A. Redina “Redox-synthesis of bimetallic gold-containing calalyzers and their properties in selective oxidation reactions of ethanol,
1,2-propanediol,glycerin and glycerin hydrodehydroxylation”, PhD in chemistry, 2015.
- A.A. Shesterkina “Synthesis and examination of ferriferous catalyzers for selective hydration of triple links and nitro-groups”, PhD in chemistry, 2018.
Lomonosov Moscow State University. Courses: “Spectroscopy of nanomaterials”, “Green chemistry”, “Industrial catalysis”, “Modern aspect of chemistry”.
Scientific and social activities
Member of the scientific council of the Institute of Organic Chemistry of the Russian Academy of Sciences, scientific and technical council of the Federal Service for Supervision of Natural Resources (Rosprirodnadzor), two dissertation councils, scientific councils of the RAS on catalysis, organic chemistry and physical chemistry, editorial boards of the Russian Chemical Journal, the “Catalysis in Industry” journal, the Journal of Physical Chemistry, Metals, Molecules, Crystals.