Ceramic and intermetallic materials, combustion, heterogeneous reactions in nanosystems, spark plasma sintering (SPS), mechanical activation, self-propagating high-temperature synthesis (SHS).
Field of knowledge according to the OECD classifier
2.05 — materials technologies (materials science — ceramics; materials science — composites; materials science — multidisciplinary; materials science — films and coatings; metallurgy and metals science).
1.04 — chemical sciences (inorganic and nuclear chemistry; physical chemistry; chemistry — multidisciplinary).
Professor at the NUST MISIS Department of Powder Metallurgy and Functional Coatings.
Deputy director of Research Center of Functional Nano-Ceramics, NUST MISIS.
Head of the Dynamics of Microheterogeneous Processes Laboratory, Institute of Structural Macrokinetics and Materials Science at the Academy of Sciences.
1995: doctor of physics and mathematics, Institute of Structural Macrokinetics and Materials Science at the Academy of Sciences.
1986: PhD in physics and mathematics, Institute of Chemical Physics at the USSR Academy of Sciences.
1979: Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology. Higher education.
A.S. Rogachev has developed a complex of advanced experimental methods and approaches that made it possible to reveal the main mechanisms of material structuring in the SHS wave (primary structuring) and thereafter (secondary structuring), which opens up new prospects for controlling structure formation of the materials fabricated by using combustion methods, which is considered to be hard to control.
A.S. Rogachev explored the mechanisms of structuring and high-temperature physico-chemical transformations in micro- and nano-heterogeneous systems (powder compositions, multilayer nanofilms, etc.), mechanical activation, and spark plasma sintering.
Based on the fundamental findings, A.S. Rogachev co-authored the design of new methods for producing various materials, including SiC, Ti3SiC2, TiB2-TiN — based ceramics; hard alloys TiC-Ni(Mo); titanium alloys with gradient porosity for biomedical applications; intermetallic compounds in the Ni-Al-Ti system; and pseudo-Cu/Cr type alloys with a complex hierarchical structure and prospective electrical and mechanical properties.
He also developed the methods for reactive sintering of refractory and dissimilar materials, such as graphite, carbon—carbon composites, heat-resistant nickel and titanium alloys, and engineering carbon steels.
Along with investigating materials, A.S. Rogachev is exploring the material-forming synthesis process. He was the first one to demonstrate the existence of the thermal heterogeneity of the gasless combustion front and its stochastic fluctuations nature at the microscopic level. The correlations between these parameters and the microstructure of the reactive medium were determined.
Based on these experimental findings, he developed the micro-heterogeneous model of gasless combustion. These findings may be used to develop new methods for the synthesis of nanocrystallic and amorphous materials in a gasless combustion wave. A.S. Rogachev has made a significant contribution to the experimental investigation of the so-called solution combustion synthesis, which allows for the fabrication of oxide and metal nanopowders with a narrow size and shape distribution (e.g., hollow microspheres) for subsequent spark plasma sintering of materials with unique properties. The self-sustained reaction in a cloud of reactive particles under vacuum and zero-gravity conditions was carried out for the first time in space and yielded highly porous refractory materials. The experiments were conducted at the Russian Space Station Mir and the International Space Station.
A.S. Rogachev and his employees are the founders for a new scientific field, i.e. the structural dynamics in micro- and nano-heterogeneous processes that play an important role in designing advanced engineering materials.
A.S. Rogachev’s strength is the ability to inspire researchers and to unite scientists from different organizations and countries by the work on the problem. He and his laboratory are actively collaborating with many research laboratories and universities both in Russia and abroad.
A.S. Rogachev has delivered numerous lectures and workshops at various academic organizations and has been repeatedly invited to speak at international conferences.
Scopus Hirsch Index — 29.
Number of articles on Scopus — 194
ORCID: 0000-0003-1554- 0803.
Scopus AuthorID: 7006838550.
- “Development of reactive composite powders for three-dimensional spark plasma and selective laser sintering”, Ministry of Education and Science,
- Reactive Ti/Al and Ni/Al powders for selective laser sintering were obtained. Simulation of high-energy ball mill was carried out.
- “New methods for the synthesis of high-entropy alloys: experimental research and numerical modeling”, RFBR-CNRS (Russian-French),
- Metallic alloys and cermets based on high-entropy phases using mechanical alloying and SHS were obtained.
- “Self-propagating heat waves in amorphous systems”, Russian Science Foundation,
- Self-propagating waves in metallic glasses were found.
- “Development of compositions and methods for the synthesis of multilayer energy-releasing nanostructured films (foils) for obtaining permanent joints of heat-sensitive materials”, Ministry of Education and Science,
- Technologies for producing energy-releasing films and joining materials have been developed, patents were obtained.
- “Exothermic waves in nanocrystalline and amorphous films”, RFBR,
- The mechanisms of reactions and structure formation in multilayer reaction nanofilms were investigated.
- “Experimental study of the phenomenon of microheterogeneous combustion, the development of the theory of this process and the development of fundamental foundations of practical applications”, RAS,
- Using high-speed micro-video, a quantitative analysis of the regularities of the propagation of solid-flame combustion waves was carried out, and ways of controlling the process were proposed.
- Varma, A., Mukasyan, A.S., Rogachev, A.S., Manukyan, K.V.; Solution Combustion Synthesis of Nanoscale Materials (2016) Chemical Reviews, 116 (23), pp.
- Levashov, E.A., Mukasyan, A.S., Rogachev, A.S., Shtansky, D.V. Self-propagating high-temperature synthesis of advanced materials and coatings (2017) International Materials Reviews, 62 (4), pp.
- Rogachev, A.S.; Exothermic reaction waves in multilayer nanofilms (2008) Russian Chemical Reviews, 77 (1), pp.
- Manukyan, K.V., Cross, A., Roslyakov, S., Rouvimov, S., Rogachev, A.S., Wolf, E.E., Mukasyan, A.S. ; Solution combustion synthesis of nano-crystalline metallic materials: Mechanistic studies (2013) Journal of Physical Chemistry C, 117 (46), pp.
- Rogachev, A.S., Mukasyan, A.S. ; Combustion of heterogeneous nanostructural systems (review) (2010) Combustion, Explosion and Shock Waves, 46 (3), pp.
- Mukasyan, A.S., Rogachev, A.S., Aruna, S.T. ; Combustion synthesis in nanostructured reactive systems (2015) Advanced Powder Technology, 26 (3), pp.
- Rogachev, A.S., Vadchenko, S.G., Baras, F., Politano, O., Rouvimov, S., Sachkova, N.V., Mukasyan, A.S. ; Structure evolution and reaction mechanism in the Ni/Al reactive multilayer nanofoils (2014) Acta Materialia, 66, pp.
- Rogachev, A.S., Moskovskikh, D.O., Nepapushev, A.A., Sviridova, T.A., Vadchenko, S.G., Rogachev, S.A., Mukasyan, A.S. ; Experimental investigation of milling regimes in planetary ball mill and their influence on structure and reactivity of gasless powder exothermic mixtures (2015) Powder Technology, 274, pp.
- Shkodich, N.F., Spasova, M., Farle, M., Kovalev, D.Y., Nepapushev, A.A., Kuskov, K.V., Vergunova, Y.S., Scheck, Y.B., Rogachev, A.S. ; Structural evolution and magnetic properties of high-entropy CuCrFeTiNi alloys prepared by high-energy ball milling and spark plasma sintering (2020) Journal of Alloys and Compounds, 816
- Buinevich, V.S., Nepapushev, A.A., Moskovskikh, D.O., Trusov, G.V., Kuskov, K.V., Vadchenko, S.G., Rogachev, A.S., Mukasyan, A.S. ; Fabrication of ultra-high-temperature nonstoichiometric hafnium carbonitride via combustion synthesis and spark plasma sintering (2020) Ceramics International, 46 (10), pp.
- Method for producing ultrafine powders of various oxides with a narrow particle size separation, RU 2569535, July 29, 2014, Russia.
- Method for obtaining nanostructured reaction foil, RU 2536019, June 20, 2013, Russia.
- Method for producing silicon carbide nanopowder, RU 2493937, July 20, 2012, Russia.
- Heat-producing element and a method for producing a multilayer tape for a fuel element, RU 2011153620, December 28, 2011, Russia.
- Method for obtaining multilayer energy-releasing nanostructured films for permanent joining of materials, RU 2479382, February 29, 2012, Russia.
- Method for obtaining a multilayer tape for a heat-producing element, RU 2499907, December 28, 2011, Russia.
- Method for initiating the process of self-propagating high-temperature synthesis, RU 2419895, January 15, 2009, Russia.
- Method for producing porous materials based on titanium nickelide, RU 2310548, February 22, 2006, Russia.
- Method for producing porous materials based on titanium nickelide, RU 2006105572, February 22, 2006, Russia.
- Device for self-propagating high-temperature synthesis in space, RU 2003122255, July 22, 2003, Russia.
Scientific supervision over 9 PhD theses.
“SHS processes as a base for the synthesis of inorganic materials”, course for masters, NUST MISIS,
Editor-in-chief of the International Journal of SHS.
Editorial board member of the Ceramics International Journal.
Peer-reviewer in many leading journals in the field of materials science and combustion.
Chairman and a member of program committees of numerous all-Russian and international conferences, and a co-organizer of the Russian-Chinese and Russian-French workshops on SHS.
Member of the program committee of the International Symposium on SHS (1992 — present).
Chairman of the program committee of the “Non-isothermal phenomena and processes” international conference dedicated to the 85th Anniversary of A.G. Merzhanov (2016), etc.