Analytical chemistry, ecology, speciation analysis, analysis of environmental samples, analysis of functional materials, separation methods, extraction, liquid chromatography, rotating coiled columns, sample preparation, fractionation analysis, fractionation of nano- and microparticles.
Field of knowledge according to the OECD classifier
Analytical chemistry, environmental sciences, geosciences — multidisciplinary, materials science — characterization and testing.
2014 — present: head of the Separation and Pre-Concentration in the Chemical Diagnostics of Functional Materials and Environmental Objects Laboratory, NUST MISIS
2008: visiting scientist, University of the Balearic Islands (Spain).
2006: doctor of chemistry.
2003: visiting scientist, UFZ Centre for Environmental Research (Germany).
2002 — present: Division titular member, Division president, Bureau member, International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry (IUPAC).
1995: PhD in chemistry.
1991 — present: head of the laboratory, Vernadsky Institute of Geochemistry and Analytical Chemistry of the Russian Academy of Sciences.
P.S. Fedotov is considered to be of the most globally recognized specialists in developing dynamic methods of fractionation of forms of elements (that vary in terms of their mobility and potential biological availability) in anthropogenic and environmental solids, as well as the leading Russian expert in methods of separation of nano- and microparticles in liquid media.
The results obtained in the research group under his supervision completely correspond to world standards and even exceed them in some aspects. The fluency in foreign languages and recognized scientific qualification allow Petr Fedotov to give regularly lectures (including plenary and keynote ones) at major international conferences.
Scopus Hirsch Index — 17.
Number of articles on Scopus — 82.
ResearcherID: B-7281- 2014.
Scopus AuthorID: 7006870374.
- 14-03- 00128 Fractionation of nano- and microparticles in the analysis of soil, ash, and dust (Russian Foundation for Basic Research),
- 16-13- 10417 Development and improvement of new combined methods of elemental and speciation analysis of environmental objects and environmentally hazardous waste of industrial origin (Russian Science Foundation),
- 17-03- 00207 A combined approach to the fractionation of nano/microparticles and easily soluble components of soil, ash, and dust for the assessment of the mobility of forms of elements in the environment (Russian Foundation for Basic Research),
- 20-03- 00274 A combined approach to the study on the elemental composition, surface properties, and stability of environmental nanoparticles in aqueous media (Russian Foundation for Basic Research),
- Ermolin, M. S.; Fedotov, P. S.; Malik, N. A.; Karandashev, V. K. Nanoparticles of Volcanic Ash as a Carrier for Toxic Elements on the Global Scale. CHEMOSPHERE 2018, 200,
- Ermolin, M. S.; Fedotov, P. S.; Ivaneev, A. I.; Karandashev, V. K.; Fedyunina, N. N.; Burmistrov, A. A. A Contribution of Nanoscale Particles of Road-Deposited Sediments to the Pollution of Urban Runoff by Heavy Metals. CHEMOSPHERE 2018, 210,
- Fedotov, P. S.; Ermolin, M. S.; Karandashev, V. K.; Ladonin, D. V. Characterization of Size, Morphology and Elemental Composition of Nano-, Submicron, and Micron Particles of Street Dust Separated Using Field-Flow Fractionation in a Rotating Coiled Column. TALANTA 2014, 130,
- Fedotov, P. S.; Koerdel, W.; Miro, M.; Peijnenburg, W. J. G. M.; Wennrich, R.; Huang, P.-M. Extraction and Fractionation Methods for Exposure Assessment of Trace Metals, Metalloids, and Hazardous Organic Compounds in Terrestrial Environments. CRITICAL REVIEWS IN ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY 2012, 42 (11),
- Fedotov, P. S.; Vanifatova, N. G.; Shkinev, V. M.; Spivakov, B. Y. Fractionation and Characterization of Nano- and Microparticles in Liquid Media. ANALYTICAL AND BIOANALYTICAL CHEMISTRY 2011, 400 (6),
- Rosende, M.; Savonina, E. Y.; Fedotov, P. S.; Miro, M.; Cerda, V.; Wennrich, R. Dynamic Fractionation of Trace Metals in Soil and Sediment Samples Using Rotating Coiled Column Extraction and Sequential Injection Microcolumn Extraction: A Comparative Study. TALANTA 2009, 79 (4, SI),
- Fedotov, P.; Savonina, E.; Wennrich, R.; Spivakov, B. A Hyphenated Flow-through Analytical System for the Study of the Mobility and Fractionation of Trace and Major Elements in Environmental Solid Samples. ANALYST 2006, 131 (4),
- Maryutina, T.; Rakcheev, M.; Fedotov, P.; Dinariev, O.; Evseev, N.; Demianov, A.; Kaminsky, V. Practical Approach to the Creation of a Concentration Gradient in a Stationary Phase Retained in a Rotating Coiled Column. JOURNAL OF LIQUID CHROMATOGRAPHY & RELATED TECHNOLOGIES 2005, 28
P.S. Fedotov, M.S. Ermolin. “Method of fractionation of polydisperse mixtures of nano- and microparticles”. Russian patent No. 2 643 539. Priority date 12/02/2016.
Supervision over three PhD theses.
- Lomonosov Moscow State University, course of lectures “New separation methods” for graduate students of the Department of Analytical Chemistry of the Faculty of Chemistry, since 2017.
- NUST MISIS, course “Separation and pre-concentration methods” under the program “Quality management in metallurgy” for master students majoring in metallurgy, since 2016.
Member of the following dissertation councils: D 002.109.01 of the Vernadsky Institute of Geochemistry and Analytical Chemistry and RKhTU.05.07 of the Mendeleev University of Chemical Technology.
Journal of Analytical Chemistry — coordinating editor.
Separation and purification reviews — member of the editorial board.
Deputy chair of the National Committee of Russian Chemists.
Titular member of the Division of Chemistry and Environment and member of the Bureau of the International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry (IUPAC).