Basic Information about the Center:
The Engineering Center of Casting Technologies and Material (EC FTM) performs strategic researches in the area of new materials and casting technologies, manufacture of high-precision complex-form casting blocks for enterprises of high-tech industries, including engine manufacturing, aviation industry, automotive industry, car building, tractor production, manufacturing of space and special equipment and defense industry.
Activity of the Center:
The Engineering Center of Casting Technologies and Materials was established on the basis of the Department of Casting Technologies and Materials (the new name is the Department of Casting Technologies and Metal Craft) by Order of the Rector of NUST MISiS No. 495а dated December 20, 2013 in accordance with the results of a tender of pilot projects for creating and developing engineering centers under the leading technical universities of Russia held by the Ministry of Education and Science of Russia jointly with the Ministry of Industry and Trade of Russia dated October 16, 2013 and decision of the Academic Council of NUST MISiS dated December 19, 2013.
The primary focus of the Center is as follows:
- industrial (technology) engineering of enterprises of high-tech industries, including engine manufacturing, aviation industry, automotive industry, car building, tractor production, manufacturing of space and special equipment, etc. in the area of accelerated preparation for producing high-precision complex-form, including thin-walled large-sized, molded pieces from alloys based on aluminum, magnesium, titanium, nickel, copper, other non-ferrous metals and alloys, as well as steels and cast irons for mechanic engineering on a competitive global level;
- implementation of efficient principles and forms of integrating science, education and business, and
- targeted staff training.
The key function of the Center is technological engineering of high-tech enterprises, including:
- developing the casting technology with the use of project design and computer modelling of the casting and thermal treatment process;
- developing and integrating new alloys with an increased level of performance characteristics and technologies of obtaining the same in the form of casts, ingots and deformed half-finished products;
- manufacturing prototypes of casting blocks with the use of fast prototyping technologies;
- designing and manufacturing special high-precision casting pattern equipment based on 3D technologies and new materials ensuring the flexibility and operational economy of manufacturing processes;
- preparing design and technological documentation for producing molded pieces pursuant to the client’s production conditions;
- developing and transferring to the client certified (in the manner provided for by Russian laws) technologies of manufacturing turn-key castings to be probed using the pilot production equipment of EC FTM;
- manufacturing experimental castings and pilot batches of castings for the new and upgraded items for the mechanic engineering and metals industries;
- technological audit of casthouse operations, consulting, developing technological projects of upgrading casting shops and sections, and
- analyzing the casting quality and the development of a set of activities to increase the quality of products released by the client.
The Engineering Center of Casting Technologies and Materials renders the services of advanced training to casting specialists: a customized training program is developed specifically in accordance with client’s needs. The relevant state certificate is issued after completing such training and passing qualification exams.