Rules for International Students to Legally Stay and Study in the Russian Federation

According to the Federal Law of 06.12.2011 № 109-FZ “On Migration Registration of Foreign Citizens and Stateless Persons in the Russian Federation,” foreign citizens and stateless persons who have arrived in Russia to study shall within 4 working days from the date of crossing the border of the Russian Federation contact the International Office (УМАМ) (Leninsky Prospekt, 6, Room G-370) at the NUST MISIS so that the office can notify the territorial body of the Federal Migration Service (FMS) of his/her arrival. Students must also submit the following documents:

  • passport (along with a photocopy of a certified translation of the passport if the passport is not already in Russian) plus a photocopy of all passport pages including blank pages as well
  • migration card (stating the reason of entry into the Russian Federation is “STUDY” (“УЧЕБА” in Russian) plus a photocopy
  • a photocopy of the Agreement for the provision of educational services (for students on a contract basis, you can receive it in G-376 upon arrival)
  • an extract from the order of admission to the university (you can receive it in G-376 upon arrival)
  • two passport-style photos (3cm x 4cm)

In accordance with the Federal Law № 109-FZ of 06.12.2011 “On Migration Registration of Foreign Citizens and Stateless Persons in the Russian Federation

  1. While in the Russian Federation, international students must be in possession of the documents below at all times and present them at the request of appropriate Russian authorities
    • your passport
    • student visa (for students from countries with a visa requirement)
    • detached notification sheet or registration slip (“отрывная часть бланка уведомления”) with the mark of the local branch of the migration service confirming registration with the Federal Migration Service
    • migration card with the permission record of the FMS which allows a stay of up to one year and sealed with a visa stamp
  2. International students have the right to work without a work permit only in the university where they are currently studying and only in the capacity of educational support personnel (Art. 13, p. 4 of the Federal Law of 28.07.2012 № 115 FZ “On the Legal Status of Foreign Citizens in the Russian Federation”).
  3. International students whose passports are set to expire are required to extend or replace them in the consular department of their respective countries prior to expiration and to submit the newly issued or extended passport to the International Office at NUST MISIS for renewal of documents (e.g. visa) at the Federal Migration Service.
  4. In case your passport is lost, you must immediately report its loss to the closest police department which will issue you an official certificate/report. You must then submit a copy of this certificate/report to your Embassy to obtain a new passport (or a temporary ID card for going home to restore your passport and apply for invitation plus visa). This original certificate/report, as well as the newly issued national passport, must be submitted to the International Office at NUST MISIS for re-registration of documents with the FMS.
  5. You must contact with the International Office at NUST MISIS 30 working days prior to the expiration date specified on the migration card and on the detached notification sheet to have your documents re-registered through the International Office.

Students from countries that are required to have a visa to study in Russia must submit their documents to extend their visa to the International Office 30 working days prior to the expiration date listed on the visa.

  1. According to the guidance letter from the Russian State Committee № 24-36-82 / 24-16 from 16.04.1996, international students are obliged to inform the International Office in writing of
    • travel to other cities within the Russian Federation
    • a change of address
    • a change in family status (e.g. marriage certificate)
    • a change in nationality
    • receipt of a temporary permit to reside in Russia
    • an official residence permit
    • obtaining or renewal of a national passport
  2. International students from countries that require visas to study in Russia are issued multiple-entry visas valid for one year. (According to the Resolution of the Government of the Russian Federation № 335 dated 09.06.2003
  3. Following graduation, international students must leave the Russian Federation by the date of expiration specified on the migration card and the detached notification sheet but not later than the date of graduation decree. Students expelled from the university for academic failure, violation of internal rules and regulations of the university residence hall, or for violation of immigration laws need to leave the Russian Federation within a period not to exceed 3 working days from the date of the discharge (Article 1 the Federal Law of 23.07.2013, № 203-ФЗ).
  4. Migration card must be turned in at the checkpoint or border control (airport, train station) before each departure from the Russian Federation.
  5. Arrival at the University during the summer holidays before the start of the academic year (until August 25) is regarded by FMS as not being associated with the primary purpose of the international student in the Russian Federation (studying) and the student is not subject to the migration registration process through NUST “MISIS”, except when having to stay for an internship (must present to the International Office a copy of the document confirming the internship).
  6. According to the Code of Administrative Offences of the Russian Federation, a violation of these rules could be: a) a fine from 2,000 rubles to 800,000 rubles b) deportation.
  7. You must either depart or extend your visa prior to its expiration. An overstay of 30 or more days beyond the expiration date of your visa could result in a three-year ban from re-entry into the Russian Federation. (Federal Law of 30.12.2012, № 321-FZ “On Amending Article 26 № 114-FZ of 15.08.1996” On the Procedure for Exit from the Russian Federation and Entry into the Russian Federation’
  8. If you have two or more administrative offenses in the territory of the Russian Federation within three years, it is possible that you could be deported from the Russian Federation and barred from entry into the Russian Federation for a period of 3 to 5 years. (In accordance with Part 4 of Article 26 of the Federal Law of August 15, 1996 N 114-FZ “On the Procedure for Exit from the Russian Federation and Entry into the Russian Federation.”